Honors students join a community of accomplished peers and dedicated faculty at Penn State Abington.
You will enjoy the kinds of challenges and opportunities that can help you realize your academic and personal potential.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is invited to participate in the Honors Program?
Select first-year students are invited to participate in the Abington Honors Program based on their exceptional academic achievement and potential.
What are the Honors Program benefits?
- Honors Scholarship for up to 4 years at Abington
- Priority course registration (schedule classes before the general student population)
- Distinctive honors curriculum courses in smaller classes
- Research, international study, and leadership opportunities
What are some typical Honors courses offered?
This is a sample of Honors courses offered in recent years:
- Applied Linguistics 200: Introduction to Language, Culture, and Social Interaction
- Asian Studies 106: Asian Traditions of Health, Medicine, and the Body
- Economics 102: Introductory Microeconomic Analysis and Policy
- Economics 104: Introductory Macroeconomic Analysis and Policy
- Engineering Design 100: Introduction to Engineering Design
- English 030: Honors Freshman Composition
- English 140: Contemporary Literature
- History 150: America in the 1960s
- History 186: The Silk Roads
- Mathematics 140: Honors Calculus with Analytic Geometry I
- Mathematics 141: Honors Calculus with Analytic Geometry II
- Political Science 001: Introduction to American National GovernmentSociology 110: The Sociology of Gender
All Honors versions of these courses fulfill General Education or Major requirements. For course descriptions: abington.psu.edu/course-catalog .
What are the requirements for Abington Honors Scholarship renewal?
Students who complete the Honors Program requirements each year and maintain a 3.3 minimum cumulative GPA will continue to receive the Honors Scholarship each year at Penn State Abington (up to 4 years).
Honors students enroll as full-time students, complete three (3) honors courses and participate in leadership or research activities approved by the Honors Coordinator.
Honors students enroll as full-time students and complete at least one (1) honors course each semester. The Honors Program Certificate is awarded at the end of the second year.
3rd & 4th Years
Honor students enroll as full-time students at Penn State Abington and maintain scholarship eligibility with a minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA.
Are there other Honors opportunities at Penn State?
The Schreyer Honors College is a Penn State University-wide honors program enrolling students of exceptional ability. The core experiences of Schreyer Scholars at Abington include honors coursework and an undergraduate thesis, a major piece of original research or creative activity.
The College also encourages and supports international study.
Current 1st and 2nd year students may apply to Schreyer Honors College.