Winners of the 2022 Abington Undergraduate Research Fair (ACURA)
First place Social Science division: "Explaining the COVID-19 Pandemic"
Students: Samantha Antell and Alexa Johnson
Faculty Advisor: Judith Newman
First place Arts and Humanities division: "What's in a Recipe? The Barclay Manuscript"
Students: Saranya Ananth, Kathryn Brodeur, Fabiana Cajamarca, Leah Davis and Emily Lang
Faculty Advisors: Marissa Nicosia, Christina Riehman-Murphy and Heather Froehlich
First place Science and Engineering division: "Aerodynamics of airborne droplets behind the social distancing rules for COVID-19"
Students: Phuong Ho and Sean Thomas
Faculty Advisor: Andrei Blinkouski
Second place Science and Engineering division: "Microscopic Imaging Analysis"
Student: Holly Schafer
Faculty Advisors: Vinayak Elangovan and Burcu Ozden
Honorable mention social science division: "Autistic Traits, Alexithymia and Facial Emotion Recognition of Human and Anime Faces"
Student: Bridger Standiford
Faculty Advisor: Kevin Hsu
Honorable mention Science and Engineering division: "Where Does Penn State's Academic Websites Stand on Extra-Functional Properties and Quality Characteristics?"
Students: Matthew Coutts, Luna Hatahet, and Yash Amin
Faculty Advisor: Ishtiaque Hussain
University Libraries awards for Excellence in Information Literacy
Division of Arts and Humanities
Beating Writer’s Block: How to Write a Story Based on Real Life by Samhita Chitturi. Faculty advisor: Linda Miller,
Division of Science and Engineering
Defects Detection and Classification on Metallic Surfaces by Kseniia Gromova and Youxin Zhuo. Faculty advisor: Vinayak Elangovan,
Division of Social Sciences
Autistic Traits, Alexithymia and Facial Emotion Recognition of Human and Anime Faces by Bridger Standiford. Faculty advisor: Kevin Hsu
ACURA is opportunity
- Collaborate closely with a faculty research mentor on a hands-on research project and/or creative work over the course of one academic year,
- Receive academic credit (one credit in fall; two credits in the spring) for their research activity,
- Gain valuable research, technical, and artistic experience for more advanced levels of scholarly work, and/or for use in future careers,
- Present one’s research findings at the Annual ACURA Poster Fair, at a research lecture at the Fall Colloquium, and/or at a local or national research conference
- Publish one’s original work and discoveries in partnership with one’s research mentor.