Summer 2024 English Language and Cultural Enrichment (ELCE) Option
The ELCE is an 8-week summer program for students who want to study academic English and U.S. culture to prepare for college admissions and study. This is a non-credit program for students who want to enroll at Penn State. Students will study speaking, listening, reading, and writing and go on field trips in the Philadelphia area. If you complete the Summer ELCE program successfully, Penn State Abington will accept completion of ELCE as proof of English proficiency. You don't need to take another language exam to complete your application!
Why Attend ELCE?
- Small class size
- Experienced, qualified instructors
- Personalized attention
- Fully staffed Office of Global Programs to assist you with your needs
- Connections to campus offices and community resources
- Opportunities to meet current PSU Abington students
- Official part of Penn State University, an internationally recognized school with an extensive alumni network
- Completion of ELCE is officially recognized as fulfillment of language proficiency requirements for Penn State (Note: students still need to submit a full application and language scores for review)
Requirements to Attend ELCE:
- Submit complete application materials to Penn State: Home - Undergraduate Admissions (psu.edu)
- Must have language scores from any of the following: IBT: 70-79, IELTS: 5.5-6.0, Duolingo: 90-115*
*For students with no language scores, we may be able to provide a limited number of Duolingo tests
- Academic Interactions
- Writing Skills
- Reading & Academic Literacies
- Conversation & Presentation
- The Philly Experience
Courses and related activities meet for approximately 20 hours per week. Classes meet Monday-Friday.
Dates and Costs:
June 17, 2024 – August 9, 2024
8-week Session: $3,250 (included: tuition and materials. DOES NOT include housing, food, or student health insurance)
All international students are required to have health insurance for themselves, their spouses, and their children. You can buy the insurance offered through the university, or you may bring your own insurance if it is pre-approved by Penn State.
Life in Abington, Pennsylvania:
Abington is a safe, beautiful community with many conveniences such as shopping, restaurants, religious institutions, medical facilities, and gyms nearby. It is a 20-minute train ride to Philadelphia and approximately 2 hours from New York and Washington, DC.
There is a wide variety of apartments around the Abington area. Rents range $895-$2,600 depending on apartment size and number of students. We can refer you to off-campus housing options.
How to Apply:
The deadline for applications is May 6, 2024, 5 p.m. EST. If you need to apply for a student visa, please allow at least 8 weeks for processing. Please note that there is no guarantee of acceptance.
How to Pay Tuition & Fees/Forms of Payment Accepted
All tuition payments will be processed by PSU Abington Continuing Education office. Payments may be made by check, credit card, or wire transfer. More details will be provided once your application is received.
Visa and I-20 Information:
F1 Visa students must enroll full-time. Please allow a minimum of 8 weeks for processing time. Students should apply to the program at least 8 weeks in advance if they need a visa. Our program works with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSA) and an international student adviser provides guidance on visa and immigration regulations.