Abington basketball player scores 1,000th point

The statistician for Penn State Abington athletics should keep the records spreadsheet open and ready to update. Why? Because basketball player Mike Marvin just scored his 1,000th point - and he is only the sixth game into his third season.

Marv, as the business major is known around campus, is the fourth Abington player to hit 1,000 points, but he is only 139 points shy of the No. 1 spot. He hit the milestone last week.

“We appreciate Mike's efforts to continue to lead the growth, improvement and progress of our NCAA Division III men’s basketball team.”

-- Chris Potash, Abington head men's  basketball coach

“I’m glad I got to experience scoring my 1,000th point at a home game with my family, friends, and teammates because without them none of this would be possible,” he said. “My teammates continue to push me to get better so this accomplishment is just as much for them as it is for me.”

It is still early in the 25-game season so there also are about a half-dozen other Abington records Marvin seems likely to smash before he graduates in 2015. He is already the career leader in field goals, field goal percentage and rebounds. The junior also holds individual season records for scoring average, field goals, rebounds; and field goal percentage.

Head basketball coach Chris Potash isn’t surprised by Marvin's dominance.

“We’re proud of Mike’s accomplishments. He was the North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) Player of the Year, led the NEAC in scoring and rebounding, and was a pre-season All-American this year,” Potash said. “We appreciate his efforts to continue to lead the growth, improvement and progress of our NCAA Division III men’s basketball team.”

To follow Marvin and the Abington men’s basketball team, go to http://abingtonsports.com/index.aspx