Common RHS Internship Questions
What is my first step?
Meet with your faculty advisor! RHS faculty advisors will work with you to:
- Identify career choices
- Prepare you for the world of work
- Assist in internship process by discussing your interests/goals, identifying internship options, working with you through the internship process to ensure all paperwork is completed properly and completed by the required deadline
How should I prepare before meeting with my faculty advisor?
- Make sure you have read the RHS internship manual and come with a list of questions
- Know what semester you plan on doing your internship (Note: you should have all courses completed prior to internship) - Plan ahead!
- Have some ideas of where you may be interested in finding an internship. Review the list of internships sites.
How long will it take me to finish my internship?
Internships are full-time activities requiring approximately 40 hours of work per week for 15 weeks (600 hours). RHS students pursuing summer internships will follow the adjusted University schedule (520 hours).
When should I start looking for my internship?
You should be thinking about your internship throughout your program. This is your time to explore different ideas and learn more about different settings. The earlier you start thinking about the internship the better. You should start planning at least one year in advance.
How do I know what I want to do for my internship?
Some good questions to ask yourself:
- What population do you want to work with?
- What setting do you want to work in (hospital, school, community)?
- What have you learned in your RHS courses that sparked an interest? (guest speakers, site visits, etc.)