What is First Gen Scholars?
The FIRST GEN Scholars Program offers support to motivated first-year, first generation** students who are local and out of state. It provides access to resources*, services, and programs including a residential summer experience that prepares them for a successful transition into the college environment.
Students have the opportunity to become employed as FIRST GEN peer mentors beginning in their sophomore year.
*Chromebooks are available on an as-needed basis.
**First-generation is defined by any student whose parents have not completed a Bachelor's degree in the U.S.
- First Generation
- Successful Admission Interview with Program Staff
- Summer Virtual/ Residential Program Participation
- Application deadline: April 1
- Decision notification: April 15 (based on interview completion)
- Upon acceptance: FIRST GEN letter and Welcome to PSU kits mailed
- May 1: Decision Day on Campus & Welcome Party
- Virtual Program Dates: 10 am -3 pm on 6/26, 6/28, 7/6, 7/7, 7/10, 7/12
- Residential Experience at Lions Gate - Friday, July 13th 4-7 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 19th
- New Student Orientation w/ Families – 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Closing Ceremony & Dinner/ Move Out – 4-7 p.m.
- Fall semester: 2-credit CNED 97 course
- Spring semester: 1-credit CNED 97 course
Virtual Cohort Weekly Workshops
Residential Week Live in - On Campus
Social/Cultural Immersion Trips/Activities
Fall: CNED 97 (2 credits)
Supports transition to college and growth development
Dedicated peer mentor. for daily support
Campus resource connections
Spring: CNED 97 (1 credit)
- Personal and professional development
- Major exploration
- Leadership development
How Do I Apply?
- Apply at https://bit.ly/FIRSTGENfall23App by April 1
Contact [email protected] for more information, questions, or concerns.