Support those affected by another's substance use disorder.
The CFRS shares their knowledge and experience with others to help them access recovery support services available in the community. Once the sixty-hour training is complete you will send the application with fee and documents to the Pennsylvania Certification Board (PCB) for their review. Once you are approved for this credential you will receive a CFRS Certificate from the PCB. It usually take about two weeks from submission to notification.
People who take this program are: Police Officers, Fire Fighters, Paramedics, EMTs, Health Care Workers including those who work in hospitals and doctor's offices, Social Workers, Volunteers, Community Outreach Workers, and friends and families of those with Substance Use Disorder.
Pennsylvania Certification Board requirements to attend the CRFS Program:
1. Minimum High School Diploma/GED.
2. You must identify as someone who has been affected by another's substance use disorder.
3. You must either live in or work in Pennsylvania.
CRFS Certification Process
Once the 60 hour training is complete you will submit your CFRS application fee and these attachments to the PCB:
1. LETTERS OF REFERENCE/CHARACTER:
- Applicants must submit three (3) letters of reference/character.
- Letters may not be from family members.
- Letters should show the impact the applicant has made to the field.
- They should also include how the applicant practices self-care, how they have developed boundaries, and how they work with other families.
- The letters of reference/character must be from each of the following areas:
-Within recovery support services (1)
2. STATEMENT OF LIVED EXPERIENCE:
Applicants must submit a written statement describing their experience navigating multiple systems; describing how their experience informs their work with other families, what resources they have accessed, and what family recovery means to them. Applicants should also describe how long they have considered themselves in recovery. Written statements must be a minimum of 1000 words.
- Signed attestation-see CFRS application.
- Signed, dated and notarized Application Acknowledgements-see CRFS application.
- Copy of certificate of completion for the CFRS 60-Hour Training program.
Applicant must either live or work in PA at time of application.
$125, payable directly to the Pennsylvania Certification Board with application and all materials.
State is an Approved Education Provider with the Pennsylvania Certification Board (PCB). This training program meets the PCB requirements for credentialing by fulfilling the following educational requirements:
- 24 hours in Family Recovery and Wellness
- 12 hours in Advocacy and Support
- 6 hours in Professional Ethics
- 6 hours in Confidentiality
- 12 hours specific to substance use disorder
Your instructors: Stacey Conway, Ph.D, Davin P. Rowe, MS, MA, CAADC, Dana Cohen, MA, M.Ed, and Edythe Cohen, LPC, CCDP
All instructors are subject matter experts and have extensive experience in addiction and recovery, working with both families and those seeking/ in recovery.
Many US states and territories require professional licensure/certification to be employed. If you plan to pursue employment in a licensed profession after completing this program, please visit the Professional Licensure/Certification Disclosures by State interactive map.